Wednesday 30 December 2015

Gravity Picks Spotlight

Since the summer, the Gravity Razer pick has become one of my regular picks, which is one of the reasons why receiving a package of different Gravity picks to try was so exciting. Just before Christmas I received a package which included the Tripp Standard 1.5, the Edge standard 3, the Classic Pointed Mini 2, the Sunrise Mini 3 and the Stealth Standard 2. These are a variety of sizes and shapes, and the Classic Pointed Mini has a oval shaped grip hole.



So I'll start with the Sunrise Mini 3. This is a Jazz III sized pick, with slightly pointed sides, and the rough 'Master Finish' edge. Being 3mm thick, it feels very similar to the Razer Standard 3 which I regularly use. Tonally, it exhibits the similar treble boost I've come to enjoy with Gravity Picks, in a shape which is great for fast alternate picking and intricate, detailed parts. The 'Master Finish' can sometimes be a bit scratchy sometimes, but not so much that you could hear it, more feel it in your hand.

The second smallest pick is the Classic Pointed Mini 2. As I'm sure you've already worked out, this pick is a smaller classic pick shape (like a rounded-off Sunrise Mini). Like I previously mentioned, this pick has an oval shaped grip hole. This is an interesting feature, an option available on many (if not all) of the Gravity picks. It works well, but the Gravity picks themselves are made from a grippy material - I guess it's for the 'belt-and-braces' kind of player. Also with the "Master Finish", this tone exhibits a tone which is very similar to the Sunrise Mini.

Up in size again is the Edge Standard 3. This pick is similar to the classic shape, but with wider wings. It also has a polished bevel, and more rounded edges than the other. This pick plays really nicely, and sits very comfortably in the hand. Greta for many different playing styles, I think this pick is my favourite of the lot I was sent.

The Stealth Standard 2 is like the pointed version of the Edge Standard, with three equal sides and three identical picking corners. For a 2mm thick pick, this feels quite thin, but has the same great feel as the other Gravity picks. This pick is probably my least favourite, it's just not for me!

The final pick is the most unique pick of the lot. With three different tips, you have one which is more pointed and similar to the sunrise shape, which is better for shredding, one which is rounded like the Axis pick and better for strumming, and a third which is in between the two which is the jack-of-all-trades setting. Being 1.5mm thick, it's smaller than I'm used to when playing electric guitar, but this encouraged my to play acoustic, and worked really well for that. I've often found that with plastic picks like these (the High-Grade Transparent Thermoplastic known as Polymethyl Methacrylate to be precise), they don't sound great with acoustic guitars, but this pick was very pleasing to use.

Since discovering Gravity picks earlier this year, I've been using them as my regular picks almost exclusively. They play louder than most other picks I've used and don't wear out at all from what I've noticed so far - I'd definitely recommend checking these out, no matter what you're used to, there's something for everyone.

Do you use Gravity Picks? What shape and gauge do you use? Let me know in the comments!





No comments:

Post a Comment